You have a transformation goal. Maybe it’s to lose weight, or build muscle, or increase your stamina, or improve your nutrition, or run a mile without stopping, or simply get healthier.
Google “lose weight,” or “build muscle,” or “eat healthy,” or any other transformation-related goal, and you’ll find literally millions of programs, and tips, and tricks, and even scams promising to help you reach your goal. Often with little to no effort on your part. With so much information, and so many programs, and tips, and tricks available—and yes, some of them are even legit, why do only 8% of people achieve their goal? The answer has nothing to do with what you eat or how you work out. Nothing. While those parts of transformation are important, they’ll only get you so far.
So, whether you’re just getting started, or getting started again for the 10th (or 100th) time, we’re sharing some keys to transformation that can help you achieve your goal once and for all, and most importantly, sustain your success long-term. And along with these transformation keys, we’ll also be sharing how The Transform App can fit into your overall transformation plan, giving you a complete plan of action as you progress towards becoming one of that 8%.
Key #1: Mindset
If your nutrition or workout plans won’t transform you long-term, what’s the #1 key to lifelong transformation? What’s going on between your ears—your mindset, plain and simple. And by your mindset we’re talking about your thoughts, feelings, perspectives, etc., that can affect your success. But transforming your mindset is not as plain and simple to put into action, unfortunately, or that 8% success rate would be closer to 100%, right?!
So, how do you transform your mindset so you can nail your transformation goals and sustain your progress for life? We’re breaking it down into more bite-sized, mindset-related keys to transformation so you can work key-by-key to turn your mindset from what can often be a liability into a valuable asset. After all, your mindset is like the master key to your transformation.
We’ve included numerous life lessons in The Transform App, many of which are mindset-based, to help you tap into the mindset key of transformation even more!
Key #2: Habits
Your habits, those things you do over and over again, lay the foundation for long-term transformation success. Here are some of the habits specifically related to transformation:
- Working out regularly
- Following your nutrition program
- Getting enough sleep
- Managing your stress
- Making time for self-care
- Drinking enough water
- And more…
Experts say it takes 66 days to create a new habit, so creating habits is not a quick thing you can check off your to-do list. It takes patience, and it means giving yourself lots of grace as you learn to make a new habit a permanent part of your life.
Here are some tips for creating a new habit:
- Include a new habit into something similar you’re already doing. For example, if you already have a morning routine, add in a new habit to those morning routine habits you’re already doing.
- Make that habit easy: Set out your exercise clothes the night before, put together a meal plan and have as much food prepped as possible. Set yourself up for success from day 1!
- Start with only one small, new habit at a time. The worst thing you can do when starting a new habit is to go big and take on too much. It won’t be sustainable, and the key to creating a new habit is the ability to do it over and over again. Which leads us to the next tip…
- For most habits, do it every single day. If you skip a day, it’s almost like starting over again.
- Reward yourself, but be careful of the reward you choose. If eating healthy is your new habit, it’s probably best to not reward yourself with your favorite food. When you can, include the reward in the habit, like listening to a favorite podcast or watching a favorite show only when you’re working out. It might take some brainstorming, but rewards can be a huge motivator for habit creation.
How can The Transform App help you create a habit? Through the amazing lineup of trackers inside the app, which serve as constant, daily reminders to stick to those habits you’re working to create.
- Water tracker
- Step tracker
- Macro tracker
- Workout tracker
- Journal section
Key #3: Trust
Achieving any type of transformation goal takes time, and often, lots of time. And most of the time, seeing results can be a slow process, and it can be easy to think that your program isn’t working. We’ve all been there. So key #3 to transformation success is trust—trusting the process. Here’s how you can build trust in the process:
- Go All In. We’re not talking about doing everything all at once (remember, we’re creating small habits one at a time). We’re talking about committing for the long haul and sticking to those small habits, even when you don’t “see” any changes.
- Measure your progress regularly. Use the scale, take measurements, gauge how you’re feeling, watch for improvements in your workouts, and so on. If “seeing” your progress is helpful, make a chart and track every time you do that habit. And most importantly, celebrate every single win, no matter how small.
- If you’re ever tempted to go back to what you were doing before when you’re not seeing the rate of progress you’re expecting (more about expectations in key #5), remind yourself as often as needed that what you were doing before didn’t work.
How can The Transform App help you trust in the process? The app can guide you step-by-step throughout your transformation journey, taking care of figuring out your workouts and your nutrition and by tracking your progress. We’ve done all the work for you, so just follow the app, trusting in the process along the way, and you will achieve your goal!
Speaking of trusting the process, one question we get asked a lot about the app is, “Why are my calories so high?” Here’s why:
It is VERY common to be surprised at the amount of food you should be eating to reach your goals! Most people have the misconception (and “old school” mentality) that you must starve yourself to reach your goals—this is not the case at all. In the apps, we start you at the highest calorie intake possible to boost your metabolism and prime your body, then if you EVER plateau, the app will adjust your portions in a “step-down” manner to maximize your results and keep you losing. This is transformation the way it SHOULD be done! Your meal plan is totally customized to you and your goals, and so you can feel confident that if you eat all of that delicious food, you will achieve your goals!
Key #4: Integrity
This key might be a tie with key #1 as far as importance since it’s crucial for success with all the keys—including mindset—AND for anything else you want to accomplish with your transformation goals. Or for any goal.
Integrity means doing what you say you’re going to do when you say you’re going to do it…especially when no one is watching. We often have integrity with others, but when it comes to integrity with ourselves, we struggle. As Chris used to tell the contestants on the show, “You don’t have X pounds of extra fat. You have X pounds of broken integrity.”
How do you build integrity with yourself? Through keeping small, simple promises to yourself every single time, without fail. We call these Power Promises, and keeping your Power Promises builds your transformation foundation and is crucial to changing your mindset AND accomplishing your goal.
Here are some things to keep in mind when creating a Power Promise:
- Go super, super small, so small that you can keep that promise no matter what happens. Some people have started with brushing their teeth twice a day. It seems silly, but every time you keep a promise, you’re winning, and those small promises keep building your transformation foundation brick by brick.
- Your Power Promise doesn’t have to be transformation goal-related. Just choose something you know you can do 100% of the time.
- Don’t add in a new Power Promise until you’ve kept your first one 100% of the time for several weeks.
- If you find you’re not keeping your Power Promises, go back to that first, foundational promise and build back your integrity. And don’t beat yourself up. This happens to all of us at one time or another!
How can The Transform App help you build integrity? Along with keeping your Power Promises, every time you check a box in your app program, you’re building your integrity even more! Plus, the app has a journal section where you can journal about your Power Promises and whatever else you might want to journal about on your journey.
Key #5: Realistic Expectations
What are your expectations for achieving your transformation goal? Are they realistic? Are you expecting to do more and achieve more than is actually possible? To achieve your goals, you’ll have to do things differently from what you’ve done before because what you’ve done before hasn’t worked. If it had, you wouldn’t be starting over again for the 10th (or more) time.
Those quick fix tricks and tools you can easily find on the internet can lead to unrealistic expectations. And let’s be honest: You will encounter bumps along your path to transformation. You will have days when you go off your nutrition plan, or miss a workout, or any number of things that will happen. Following any plan perfectly is just not going to happen—it’s an unrealistic expectation. So, what do you do when you have unrealistic expectations?
- When you have a transformation fall, get right back up, dust yourself off, and go again. Falls are not failures, they’re an education!
- Follow the CRR Process:
- Confess: Tell someone you trust about your slip up. Be honest and vulnerable about what happened and why.
- Reassess: Make any needed tweaks to your plan to prevent future slip ups.
- Recommit: Commit to yourself that you’ll do your best to stick to your plan—with realistic expectations for progress.
- Remember: Transformation is a marathon, not a sprint, so keep your expectations realistic, stick to your habits and trust in the process. You will get to where you want to go!
One final key
Transformation isn’t easy. If it was, that 8% achievement statistic would be much higher. And while we’ve mentioned this before, when you’re wanting to make changes in your life, especially when you have a transformation goal, it’s tempting to try and do too many things at once. Whether it’s creating new habits or keeping your Power Promises, you might try and ” Go All In” a bit too much. Which can lead to frustration and halt your progress.
So we advise you to only take on one new thing (habit, Power Promise, etc.) at a time. Why?
- Take on one new thing at a time = 80% chance of success
- Take on two new things at a time = 35% chance of success
- Take on three or more new things at a time = 5% chance of success.
If you just cannot take on only one new thing, choose things from different “areas”: workouts, nutrition, mindset, self-care, etc.
Which key to transformation will you work on first? Choose one, then leave a post in our The Transform App Users Community Facebook group. Not a member of our FB group? Join today, and be a part of the most amazing community of people who are also striving to reach their goals!
3 Keys to Achieving Transformation that Lasts with Chris Powell
Watch the video below to learn more about achieving transformation from Chris!
If you're loving The Transform App, but you feel like you need more guidance, accountability, and/or education, our One-on-One Coaching Program might be for you. Choose from 3, 6, or 12 month options and work personally with the best coaches in transformation!
Already subscribed to The Transform App and want a copy of The App Starter Guide, link the button below for your copy.